The File Manager is cPanel tool that allows you to manage your site through HTTP . You can upload, create or delete files, organize files in folders and change file permissions. File Manager gives you all the basic functionality necessary to manage your site.
How to access the File Manager
- Login into cPanel
- Click on the “File Manager” in the “Files” section.
- Then you will be able to pick the directory for which to open File Manager
- Select your directory ( or Web Root for root directory)
- You will then see your files listed.
cPanel File Manager Features
- Task Bar (top bar) – This is where you can perform basic tasks like create a new folder, delete a file, edit a file and much more.
- Current Location (top left bar)- This tells you where you currently located. Also you can specify a path here to navigate to somewhere else.
- File Tree (left bar ) – This is also for navigation, but shows you a visual representation of how your files are structured.
- Current Folder Contents (right bar) – This lets you know what the contents are of the current folder you are in.
Creating a new folder
- Click on the New Folder link.
- Enter the name of the new folder and define the location where it will be created.
- Click on the Create New Folder button. The new folder will appear in the chosen location.
Uploading files in File Manager
You can start uploading files through File Manager by clicking on the Upload icon.
- Navigate to the folder where you want to upload your files.
- Click on the Upload icon.
- Click on the Browse button next to one of the top fields.
- Search for and double-click on the first file to upload. The upload will start automatically.
- Repeat the above steps for each file you want to upload.
- Click on the Overwrite existing files check box if you want to overwrite existing files with the same name.
Creating a new file
- Click on the New File link.
- Enter the name of the file to be created.
- Pick the destination where the file should be saved and click on the Create New File button.
- The file is created.
Editing a file
- Navigate to the folder where the file is located.
- Click on the name of the file.
- Click on the Edit link in the top menu of your window. This will open a new window with the content of the file displayed.
- Alter the text of the file.
- Click on the Save Changes button.
- The file is saved and the changes will take effect on.
Extracting a file
- Select ziped file
- Click on Extract link
- Select location where to extract the file.
- Click on extract
- All files has been extracted and ready to use.
Compressing a file
- Select the files and Folders which you want to compress.
- Click on Compress link.
- Select Directory where to put compressed file.
- Click on Compress File button.
- All selected files has been compressed.